Preparation time: 15 minutes. Serves: 6
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 175g (6oz) French beans, canned, fresh or frozen
- 200g (7oz) can tuna, rinsed and drained
- 175g (6oz) canned butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 175g (6oz) canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 12 olives to garnish
- Salad leaves to serve
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Pinch of dried basil or oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
If using fresh or frozen beans, lightly cook for 4-5 minutes in boiling water, or steam or microwave. Refresh under cold running water, and then drain well.
Flake the tuna and place in a bowl all the beans and the onion.
Mix together the dressing ingredients and pour over the bean and tuna mixture.
Toss lightly and garnish with olives. Serve on a bed of salad leaves.
The many beans in this dish are abundant in cardio-protective nutrients. Combined with low-fat canned tuna, this salad is a healthy complement to any meal.