Butternut is among the healthiest dishes you can consider in your meal times. In case you are tired of eating potatoes all the time, butternut squash combined with sweet potato is the best option. Its nutrition and health benefits are immense. It can be best enjoyed when prepared and cooked in form of delicious soup.
Preparation time: 20 minutes. Serves: 4
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cm ( ½ inch) piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 green chili, deseeded and finely chopped finely grated rind and juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 375g (12oz) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 375g (12oz) butternut squash, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 litres (2 pints) vegetable stock
- 250g (8oz) canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion, garlic. Cover and cook very gently for 10 minutes without coloring.
- Add the spices, ginger, chili, lime rind and honey and stir for 30 seconds, then add the sweet potato, squash, half the lime juice and the stock.
- Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are almost tender.
- Stir in the chickpeas.
- Check the seasoning and add pepper to taste. Simmer for a further 10 minutes, then add the remaining lime juice to taste.
- Allow to cool slightly, then process in a food processor or blender until very smooth, adding more stock if necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
- Reheat gently and stir in the fresh coriander just before serving.