Preparation time: 10 minutes. Serves: 4
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 400g (13oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 glass red wine (optional)
- 375g (12oz) dried pasta
- Parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
- Place all the ingredients, except the pasta and parmesan, in a saucepan and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions until it is just tender.
- Allow the sauce to cool a little, and then transfer to a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Drain the pasta, return to the pan and toss with the sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan, if liked, and serve with a green salad and French bread.
Or you could try
Adding some of the following to the sauce to vary the flavor:
- Freshly steamed vegetables
- Canned beans, rinsed and drained
- Tuna, rinsed and drained
- Pitted olives
- A handful of walnuts.