Preparation Time: 15 Minutes. Serves: 4
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
- 4 tuna steaks, about 125g (4oz) each
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 parsnip, cut into chunks
- 2 potatoes, cut into chunks
- 50g (2oz) natural yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons horseradish relish (optional)
- Place the ingredients for the glaze in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture reduces and is of a glazed consistency. Keep hot.
- For the parsnip puree, steam the parsnips and potatoes until tender. Drain if necessary and place in a food processor or blender with the yoghurt, horseradish (if using) and pepper to taste. Process until blended. Keep warm or reheat prior to serving.
- Brush the tuna with oil. Cook on a preheated, very hot griddle or barbecue, or in a frying pan or under a grill for 1-2 minutes. Turn and spoon the glaze over the tuna. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes – it is best if moist and still slightly pink in the centre.
- To serve, top a mound of the puree with a tuna steak and spoon over the remaining glaze. Accompany with steamed green vegetables, if liked.
Grilling is a healthy way to cook since it requires little or no added fat, and any fat from the food can drain away. Griddle pans can be heated to a very high heat, which gives food a delicious flavour and helps to seal in all the juices.