Preparation time 5 minutes. Serves: 2
- 600ml water
- 125g porridge oats
- 150ml skimmed milk
- 1 handful fresh, frozen and thawed, canned or cooked berries (such as raspberries, strawberries, blackberries or cranberries.
- Place the water and oats in a sauce pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the skimmed milk, stir and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Serve with your chosen berries.
Or You Could Try……
Sweetening your porridge with these other fruity combinations:
- Blueberries, loganberries, blackcurrants or redcurrants
- Raisins and sultanas
- Apricots and figs
- Bananas and walnuts
- Prune and a little honey
Oats provide one of the richest sources of the dietary soluble fibre beta-glucan. The recommended intake for a cholesterol-lowering effect is 3g of beta-glucan per day, which will reduce your total cholesterol by 6mg/dl. This bowl of porridge would reduce your cholesterol by 4mg/dl.