Preparation time: 20-30 minutes. Serves: 6
Cooking time 10 minutes
- 375g (12oz) canned crab meat, drained
- 250g (8oz) cold mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
- Grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Flour, for coating
- 150g (5oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- In a large bowl, mix together the crab meat, mashed potatoes, coriander, spring onions, lemon rind and juice, and half the beaten eggs to bind.
- Form the mixture into 12 cakes about 1cm (1/2 inch) thick. Coat the cakes with flour, and then dip into the remaining eggs and then the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick frying pan and fry the cakes for about 10 minutes until golden brown, turning once or twice.
- Drain on kitchen paper before serving. Serve with sweet red chili sauce or tomato salsa.
Or you could try….
Using canned tuna or salmon, or fresh fish, and adding peas or sweet corn. Try making a vegetable version using peas, broccoli, and carrots instead of fish.
Canned crab meat contains a moderate amount of omega-3 fatty acids (0.91g omega-3 per 100g). Canned fish is saltier than fresh fish (unless it is canned in water), so lower the salt content by putting the fish in a sieve or colander and rinsing it under cold running water. Drain thoroughly on kitchen paper.