Servings: Serves 3-4
Great way to use up those leftover bananas! These yummy fritters work perfectly for breakfast, or as a snack, or even for dessert!! You can either sprinkle some powdered sugar over them, cinnamon sugar, drizzle them with syrup or honey, or have them with a lovely scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
- 3 medium ripe bananas (peeled and mashed with a fork then drizzled with lemon juice to prevent discolouration
- ¼ cup sugar (add more if you like them sweeter)
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon powder
- ½ vanilla essence
- ¼ milk
- Beat the sugar, egg, vanilla and cinnamon until very nice and frothy. Add the mashed bananas and mix until well incorporated
- Whisk the flour with the salt and baking powder, and then gently add it into the mixture and stir. Add your milk a little at a time, until the mixture is of a consistency whereby you can pick and shape into balls using a spoon. If you need more than a quarter cup, it’s okay, go ahead and add. Don’t let the batter get too watery though!
- Heat some oil in a pan, then gently using two spoons, pick a small amount of batter and ease it into the hot oil. Keep the heat on low coz they get brown very quickly. Try getting the fritters small so that they get done nicely. Once the underside is brown, gently turn them over.
- Remove and drain on tissues, then serve with chopped fruits, icing sugar, cinnamon sugar, syrup, honey or ice-cream.